Monday, April 4, 2011

My World#110 Hanging Bridge, Sevilla, Bohol

Photobucket

It used to be just the locals and occasional curious-seekers who dared cross the hanging bridge at Sevilla, Bohol. The first time I got there ages ago, the interwoven bamboos were really old and weathered while the steel cables holding the bridge were rusty, aged in need of replacement that I dared to cross only a few steps into the hanging bridge. The combination of feeling the fear that the hanging bridge might give out and the swaying motion while walking on it did me in.

Photobucket


Fast forward to present-day...I resolved to cross the hanging bridge until I reach the other side. I told my mother that we would be doing it together and she seemed excited about the prospect.

Photobucket


Oops..was I wrong. The moment she saw the hanging bamboo bridge which by the way has grown wider (I think) and sporting a twin bridge with newer interwoven bamboo floors with better-looking steel cables, she withdrew her consent. No can do, girl. You are on your own, she said. Since I didn't want to leave her alone while people were jostling to line up to walk the bridge, I decided to just take some photos of those who conquered the Hanging Bridge of Bohol.

Photobucket


P.S. Tourism also caught up with the hanging bridge. There are more people (more tourists) who dared cross it that the entrance is now P10 per person. (I should've  crossed that bridge when it was just free!) Some ambulant vendors, public toilet and a parking space were already added nearby since the last time I've been there. Ah....progress! even as quaint as crossing the hanging bridge of Bohol is now making money!

This is my entry for:


Go here for more entries.

SHARE AND ENJOY THIS POST: Digg ThisAdd To Del.icio.us Add To Furl Add To Reddit Fav This With Technorati Add To Yahoo MyWeb Add To Newsvine Add To Google Bookmarks Add To Bloglines Add To Ask Add To Windows Live Add To Slashdot Stumble This

8 comments:

Photo Cache April 4, 2011 at 5:36 PM  

that can be quite scary. i see on your shot that many people go there at once. there should be weight limit otherwise the bridge will collapse.

there is a semi hanging bridge here in sf and because of the strong winds too they limit 2 people to cross at one time. so there are two volunteer park workers on both sides of the bridge to maintain traffic.

Vernz April 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM  

HI Tess, wow, there's too many who cross at the same time... scary it might pull-off...

Anonymous April 4, 2011 at 8:56 PM  

Wow - wonderful shots! And scary...

Kai Rui April 4, 2011 at 9:03 PM  

lovely place...i love crossing hanging bridge...;)visiting from My World...

would you mind visiting my entry
http://lovingoutliving.blogspot.com/2011/04/antulang-beach-resort.html

jocodeane April 5, 2011 at 1:01 AM  

How interesting.
I'm with your Mum: wouldn't set foot on it at any price :-)
(Even if they paid me).

marikoy April 5, 2011 at 4:44 AM  

It doesn't look so scary. The materials and craftmanship of the bridge seem to look reliable enough, and I suppose there aren't piranhas or crocodiles in the river below... that convinces me it;s safe enough. ;-) I guess I'm just an adventurous spirit.

Andrea April 14, 2011 at 6:23 PM  

Your photos are so beautiful, i havent been to Sevilla yet. I might go just to try the bridge as i have fear for heights and hanging bridges, but i still want to conquer it when i can. Except for ziplines which i really cannot attempt to try. That one is so scary as they dont limit the number of people crossing at one time!

kay April 17, 2011 at 9:42 AM  

Hi! I have a big fear of heights and crossing the hanging bridge seemed impossible for me at first. But it actually isn't as scary as it looks. Though, I don't recommend crossing the bridge on a rainy day cause it becomes really slippery. You should cross the bridge next time. :D

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blog Directory for the Philippines
Blog Directory & Search engineblog search directory

  © Blogger template 'Perfection' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP