Monday, May 16, 2011

My World#115 The Marginalized Badjao

Badjao,Davao City

Somebody asked me before if I ever knew any one of this people that was able to get out of the extreme poverty that were commonly attached to them. My answer was "None." I would be really happy to see one but the ones I have seen so far were those in the streets begging for alms.

Photobucket

They belong to the indigenous people called Badjao or the sea gypsies. They commonly lived in shanties by the sea and made their living by begging in the streets. Some made their living as fishermen and divers of pearls many years ago but extreme poverty drove them to beg for coins in the streets or coins throw out into the waters and they dive for them.

Photobucket


Most of them married young and a lot had their own kids while they were still teens. Most of them never went to school and because of this, the cycle of extreme poverty were passed on from generation to generation.

Photobucket

There were government and private programs to help them with their livelihood. Programs to help them keep out of the streets especially their children. But so far, I have yet to see a Badjao who has gone successful. Hopefully, someday soon.

This is my entry for:


Go here for more entries.

SHARE AND ENJOY THIS POST: Digg ThisAdd To Del.icio.us Add To Furl Add To Reddit Fav This With Technorati Add To Yahoo MyWeb Add To Newsvine Add To Google Bookmarks Add To Bloglines Add To Ask Add To Windows Live Add To Slashdot Stumble This

6 comments:

Photo Cache May 16, 2011 at 10:55 AM  

i hope there would be full and complete help for them and also follow ups afterwards.

Sylvia K May 16, 2011 at 4:38 PM  

I can only repeat what Photo Cache has said, as I feel exactly the same way! Great post for the day! Hope you have a great week!

Sylvia

Rosie@travel-i-tales May 17, 2011 at 6:16 AM  

Thanks for visiting my Phuket post.Yours is a post which is a social commentary that I feel needs to be highlighted. Thanks for giving us all an insight to this plight.
Rosie

enzo May 17, 2011 at 7:36 AM  

Hello Tess...I added you in my bloglist already. I like what you have in here.

webruci May 17, 2011 at 8:07 AM  

Real life captures! Amazing pictures!

clairz May 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM  

What a sad post. Beautiful photos, though.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blog Directory for the Philippines
Blog Directory & Search engineblog search directory

  © Blogger template 'Perfection' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP