Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My World#66 Death March Camp, Capas, Tarlac

I was supposed to post this entry on the first week of this month but I was on travel during that time. Nevertheless, this post is in recognition to our country's national Day of Valour (Araw ng Kagitingan) celebration last April 9. Along with a friend, I went to the Capas National Shrine last April 3 to pay our respects to the fallen soldiers who died from the Bataan Death March during World War II.

I am proud to say that I have already visited all three major memorials for the fallen soldiers of the Bataan Death March. The first one was the fortress-island of Corregidor which lies strategically at the mouth of Manila Bay and the second one was the Mt. Samat Shrine of Valor (Dambana ng Kagitingan).All memorials are mute witnesses of how the Filipinos can be brave and proud to fight for their country.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I always had this interest in Philippine history especially the World War II stories. I first heard those stories from my maternal grandmother who was such a great storyteller. My maternal grandmother  in turn had  such an interest in Philippine history because her Spanish father was a soldier.

Out of the stories my grandmother told her grandchildren, Bataan Death March piqued quite an interest from me because of its notoriety. Out of almost 75,000 prisoner-soldiers captured by the Japanese invaders, only about 55,000 soldiers survived the 102-kilometer walk under the sweltering sun and the inhumane living conditions of Camp Donnelly afterwards.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Go here for more My World entries.

SHARE AND ENJOY THIS POST: Digg ThisAdd To Del.icio.us Add To Furl Add To Reddit Fav This With Technorati Add To Yahoo MyWeb Add To Newsvine Add To Google Bookmarks Add To Bloglines Add To Ask Add To Windows Live Add To Slashdot Stumble This

4 comments:

Sylvia K April 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM  

Marvelous post, Marites!! So much sad history! Your photos are beautiful and very moving. I'm old enough to remember it well, even though I was a little girl at the time. You don't forget. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Sylvia

Rajesh April 20, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

Wonderful post. Whatever recognition is shown to this brave men is very small when compared to the sacrifices they have made.

Unknown April 22, 2010 at 3:37 AM  

I love the first photo, good perspective.

pinoy word of mouth May 7, 2010 at 11:53 PM  

Makes me want to visit this historic place. Thanks for this post.

I bumped on your ad thru technorati.

Please take a peek at my travels through my blog site

http://pinoywordofmouth.blogspot.com

Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blog Directory for the Philippines
Blog Directory & Search engineblog search directory

  © Blogger template 'Perfection' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP